Note the LushOne kits are no longer available - these pages are kept for reference and interest. You can find the schematics and source code in these documents, but the PCB designs are not currently public.
The LushOne Contour kit is the perfect second module to add to a LushOne system. The LushOne Contour provides a range of features that allow the LushOne to create richer, more exciting, more natural and more extreme sounds.
The LushOne Contour kit continues the design principles of the LushOne base. A single board design is used to keep costs low. All effects in the LushOne are generated using analogue electronics to capture the real experience of old-school synthesizers.
The LushOne Contour provides:
- Full Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release (ADSR) envelope generator
- Generates a control voltage that changes according to the ADSR parameters as a note plays
- Use to control the dynamic of a note creating more natural sounds
- Use to control other circuits such as the filter on the LushOne
base for more wild electronic sounds.
- Voltage Controlled Amplifier (VCA)
- Modify the volume of a sound based on a control voltage. Provides tremolo and note contour effects.
- The VCA is DC coupled and can also be used as a control voltage
multiplier. By multiplying control voltages together all kinds of
complex electronic sounds can be generated. Try combining two LFO
control voltages in this mode!
- Ring Modulator (RM)
- The ring modulator provides a rich, complex sound that evokes famous analogue synthesizers of the past. Ring Modulation is most famously used to provide the voice of the Daleks and the Cybermen in the television series Doctor Who.
- Utility Low Frequency Oscillator (LFO) with square and triangle outputs
- Ideal as a control voltage input to the VCA or ring modulator to provide periodic effects
- Can also be used as a control voltage feed to any other LushOne CV input
- Signal breakin/breakout
- Connect the LushOne 2mm patch leads to phono/RCA sockets to allow easy interconnect to external systems
- Single board design including all controls and connectors (except
power-in) providing straightforward construction and neat presentation.
A laser cut case is available that contains the LushOne base and the
Contour or it can easily be housed in a project box.
- Open-source access to schematics
For even richer effects one LushOne Base can be used with two Contour modules. One Contour will provide dynamic control of the note and the other will provide additional control voltage features like ADSR and multiplication.
The LushOne Contour is straightforward to build but it does have quite a high component count. It is recommended that you have some experience in building electronics before starting on this kit.
LushOne Contour sounds. All sounds are recorded directly off the LushOne live with no post processing (except the Bach which was multi-tracked). More demos and detailed explanation of the capabilities are in the training videos.
Bass loop demo with modulation effects:
Bach showing how the ADSR envelope and VCA can give notes more natural dynamics:
Demo showing filter, ring modulator and LFOs without a keyboard:
Build the LushOne Contour